Dear Friend of Gilda’s Club NYC,
I hope you are having a peaceful and safe holiday season full of joy and light.
What an incredible 10 months we’ve had. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, our focus has steadfastly remained on delivering our free virtual cancer support program to members in the safety of their homes. Cancer has not and will not stop for a pandemic, and neither will we.
We recognize the hardships, isolation and frustration that accompanies these difficult days. By now, we certainly had hoped that our Red Door on West Houston Street would be swinging open to in-person visitors. However, it simply is not safe, at this time, to open our Red Door to our special community.
- As we look ahead to 2021, I wanted to take a moment and reflect on our many accomplishments in 2020. Despite the challenges, we are thankful that we have been able to support our community when they needed us most.
- Since our first day of virtual support groups and workshops on Monday, March 16th, we have had more than 10,700 virtual visits.
- Our community of supporters grew thanks to the help of a few friends … Chevy Chase, Billy Crystal, Susie Essman, Josh Gad, Joan Lunden, Laraine Newman, Ego Nwodim, Ben Platt, Ray Romano, Martin Short, Emma Stone, Kenan Thompson, Alexa Wilding, and our longtime friend, Alan Zweibel.
- On December 15th, we held Winter Wonderland, our sixth virtual social event of the year and a favorite of our members.
- And one of my favorite moments of the year, our 25th Anniversary Virtual Gala raised over $1 Million for our free cancer support program. If you missed the live event we are happy to share a recording with you now – click HERE to watch.
At Gilda’s Club, our commitment to our cancer community will never waiver. For now, our program will remain virtual and will continue to mirror our in-person program through the beginning of 2021. As we move forward to warmer weather, we will be sure to keep you posted of any plans to safely reopen the clubhouse following the guidelines of the CDC.
We are especially grateful to our wonderful donors for helping to make a difference in the lives of cancer patients and their families during these uncertain times. With your continued generosity, we will support, educate and empower cancer patients and their families, no matter what the new year brings. No one should face cancer alone.
Warmest wishes for a happy and healthy New Year,